alberta bankruptcy exemptions

Making Sense of Alberta
Bankruptcy Exemptions

You can file for bankruptcy if you have a large amount of debt and you don’t have any means to pay for it. Bankruptcy provides legal protection from your creditors as it stops them from contacting or calling you to collect payments. It also stops wage garnishment. This article will explain the Alberta bankruptcy exemptions.

The Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act in Canada outlines procedures and rules for submitting consumer proposals and declaring either personal bankruptcy or business bankruptcy. If you want to declare bankruptcy, you need to surrender your assets to a licensed insolvency trustee Red Deer to wipe off your debts. However, there are properties that are exempt under this Act.

You don’t need to surrender assets that are in a registered disability or education savings plan. Payments out of these plans are also exempt from the enforcement process. Refunds of fees out of the education savings plan to help the student in post-secondary education are also exempt. However, refunds or payments out of the education savings plan are not exempt.
Assets in registered plans such as RRSP and DPSP are also exempt from any collection process, but payments from the plans are not exempt. Schedule an appointment with one of our licensed Red Deer insolvency trustee and learn how these exemptions apply in your case.

savings plan

Bankruptcy Exemptions in Alberta

The Civil Enforcement Act in Alberta exempts several items from bankruptcy and writ proceedings. These items include the food you and your family or dependents need during the next twelve months, necessary clothing and dental and medical aids for you or your dependents and personal properties used to earn money from your occupation up to a specific value.

If you’re a farmer and you own a land, up to 160 acres of it is exempt. Personal properties necessary to operate the farm for the next twelve months are also exempt from any collection.

The following items are also exempt up to a certain value:

  • Household appliances and furnishings
  • Principal residence
  • One motor vehicle 

There are limits to these exemptions, and it’s stated in the Civil Enforcement Regulation. Here’s the maximum value of the exemptions covered in the Civil Enforcement Act. 

  • Personal properties used to earn money from your occupation – $10,000
  • Household appliances and furnishings – $4,000
  • Clothing – $4,000
  • Motor vehicle – $5,000
  • Principal residence – $40,000

In case your asset’s value is greater than the maximum value set for that item, you can surrender that asset to the trustee who will then sell it. Another option you have is to pay the difference in value so that you can keep your asset. 

You won’t lose your house either. The exemption for a principal residence is determined through your equity.  If your equity is higher than the maximum limit, the insolvency trustee Red Deer professional will help you find a better solution. You won’t be forced to sell your home or foreclose because you declared insolvency. As long as you pay your mortgage, you won’t lose your home. 

If you’re the co-owner or joint-owner of a certain property, the exemptions depend partially on the percentage of ownership. Schedule a consultation with us to learn more about the bankruptcy exemptions in Alberta.